Author Archive
Stories written by K.Allsup

Council Hears Update From Chamber

Oskaloosa City Hall

Oskaloosa, Iowa – The Oskaloosa City Council met in regular session on March 18th, 2019. The Council heard from the Oskaloosa Area Chamber and Development Group, who presented the activities the group has been leading and participating in. Ann Smith, Oskaloosa Chamber Executive Director, first addressed what is happening in the area of economic development. […]

Supervisors Approve New Security Cameras For Courthouse

Mahaska County Courthouse

Oskaloosa, Iowa – The Mahaska County Board of Supervisors met in regular session on Monday, March 18, 2019. The Supervisors discussed using funds from an account that is split with the sheriff’s office for upgrading security cameras. The account is 60% controlled by the sheriff, while the remaining 40% by the Supervisors for courthouse security […]

There’s Been Something For Just About Anyone In Oskaloosa

Race cars filled the hallway at Penn Central Mall on Saturday and Sunday.

by Ken Allsup Oskaloosa, Iowa – There’s been just about something for everyone to do this past weekend in Oskaloosa. Music filled Smokey Row as ElieMae, an Idaho singer-songwriter entertained with an acoustic solo on Friday afternoon. The Backrow Hooligan’s took to the stage on Saturday afternoon, performing an acoustic show as well. Inside of […]

Eagle Watching Can Benefit Eagles Long Term

More than a dozen people took part in bald eagle observation training on Saturday at the new environmental learning center.

by Ken Allsup On Saturday afternoon, more than a dozen interested persons filed into the new environmental learning center at Caldwell Park to become trained to help the Iowa DNR monitor the bald eagle’s nest. The program is part of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources Volunteer Wildlife Monitoring Program. Program Coordinator Stephanie Shepherd explained […]

Legion Celebrates 100 Years Of History While Looking To The Future

Approximately 75 people took part in the 100th Anniversary program of the American Legion.

by Ken Allsup Oskaloosa, Iowa – In the banquet hall of the American Legion Post 34, members and dignitaries gathered to celebrate and honor a century of honor, service, camaraderie, and community service. Darrin Alderson, 5th District Commander for the American Legion in Iowa lead the evening’s ceremony, sharing that the American Legion is celebrating […]

Coon Resigns From Oskaloosa Water Department

by Ken Allsup Oskaloosa, Iowa – The Oskaloosa Water Board met in regular session on Monday, March 11th, 2019. At the end of their agenda, there was a closed session to evaluate the General Manager, which is standard practice for employment evaluations by boards or commissions. Oskaloosa Water Department General Manager Chad Coon informed the […]

Two Indians 1st Team Little Hawkeye Conference

Oskaloosa, Iowa – The Little Hawkeye Conference released their All-Conference teams this week, and Cole Henry and Xavier Foster have been selected for 1st Team. Rian Yates was selected 2nd Team All-Conference. Austin Hafner and Noah Van Veldhuizen were each selected Honorable Mention All-Conference. Henry, Foster, and Yates were selected All Sub-State for Oskaloosa. Coach […]

Legion To Celebrate A Century Of Service

Oskaloosa, Iowa – Many historical events of the 20th Century can trace their roots to the war to end all wars, World War One. Many will argue that other wars and conflicts of that century and today, are as a result of that war, including the second world war, and the war on terror. Many […]

Eggs And Issues Spotlight On Emergency Services

Oskaloosa, Iowa – Eggs and Issues on Saturday morning took a different twist from the normal when members of area emergency services were under the marquee spotlight on the stage inside Smokey Row. Wyndell Campbell was the moderator for Saturday’s discussion. Ben Boeke/Oskaloosa Police Chief, Cheryl Eklofe/Mahaska County 911, Russ Van Renterghem/Mahaska County Sheriff, Mark […]

Choices Drop-in Center Helping Build Community

'Choices Drop-in Center' recently cut the ribbon on it's new center in downtown Oskaloosa.

Oskaloosa, Iowa – A new space recently opened up in the 100 block of 1st Avenue West, which aims to help those needing a little help in life. The ribbon cutting at the First Resources Corporations new office space, called ‘Choices Drop-in Center’ was held on February 19th, and users of the resource were joined […]

       

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google
 
Log in | Copyright by Oskaloosa News