Keokuk County Courthouse Celebrates 100 Years

 

Keokuk County Iowa Courthouse 2010 Celebration

It was just as bright and sunny on Friday the 17th of September for the centennial of  Keokuk’s Courthouse as it was the day it was dedicated. Courthouse workers and volunteers helped make this a success. Period costumes helped to add to the to festivities.

The recent edition of the Sigourney News-Review has some excellent coverage of the history of the courthouse in downtown Sigourney. The Sigourney Savages Facebook page has many great pictures and information about the town and local area.

Iowa Supreme Court Justice Appel speaking at Sigourney Iowa

The event started with the entrance of local judges and Iowa Supreme Court Justice Appel. The Legion provided the color guard for the ceremony. Justice Appel gave the keynote speech.

The courthouse that currently stands is a replacement for the original stone courthouse built in 1859. In 1908 the residents had passed by ballot in November of 1908 the issue to build the the current courthouse with a cost of “$110,000 and no more”. With the demolition of the old courthouse during the early part of 1909, the cornerstone of the new structure was laid June 9, 1909. All work was completed and the country started to occupy the location on or before August of 2010, with the official dedication being September 16, 1910.

Veterns Color Guard

The chair, desks and couches and settees for the new courthouse were bought from Baylor Brothers of Sigourney for a cost of $1,799.10. Detroit Mantel and Tile Company of Detroit Michigan installed the lighting and fixtures for $2,265. Jaeger Manufacturing Company was responsible for the manufacture and delivery of all “special wood furniture”. This came to a total cost of $2,265.  Van Dorn Iron Works Company of Cleveland, Ohio put in all the steel furniture and the marble counters for $6,600. Painting of the interior with materials and labor cost $2,500. The paintings of Lydia Huntley Sigourney and Chief Keokuk and the 4 murals on the walls of the tower shaft were painted by C.E. Rang of Chicago, Illinois in 1912. Rang painted all for $250. He completed the work in just over a week, working in silence.

Much of this history was read aloud at the ceremony.The Courthouse was presented with a 1934 Constitution print as part of the ceremony of the day. Visitors were welcomed into the courthouse for tours and even more history of the facility. Refreshments were served, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves while learning more of their past.

For more pictures and info, visit us on our Facebook Page Oskynews.

Center Dome of Keokuk County Courthouse

Painting in the center dome of the Keokuk County Courthouse

Sigourney Residents dressed in early 1900's clothing

Judges and Justices at the Keokuk County Courthouse

Posted by on Sep 18 2010. Filed under Events, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.

1 Comment for “Keokuk County Courthouse Celebrates 100 Years”

  1. […] Keokuk County Courthouse Celebrates 100 years- September 18th […]

Comments are closed

                   

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google
 
Log in | Copyright by Oskaloosa News