Oskaloosa Urban Deer Management Season
For the fifth year in a row, the City of Oskaloosa is preparing for the upcoming 2014/2015 Urban Deer Hunting season, to be held within the Oskaloosa city limits. The 2014/2015 hunting season will run from September 13th, 2014 thru January 10th, 2015. During this season, qualified hunters will be allowed to harvest deer within the city limits using bows and arrows.
Bow hunters interested in participating in this hunting season are required to pass an archery proficiency test, consisting of 5 shots, made from 20 yards. Hunters must score at least 80% accuracy, within an 8-inch circle target, to qualify for this hunt. Hunters are allowed two attempts to pass this test.
Two testing dates have been set for this upcoming season. This testing will be held at “After Hours Archery” located at 216 North B Street. The dates and times for this testing are: Thursday, August 28th from 6 to 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, August 30th from 10 to 11:30 a.m. Any hunter interested in participating in this hunting season must attend, and pass, one of these proficiency tests. Hunters need to bring a current form of identification and their current/valid Iowa Hunting License with them to this testing.
The Oskaloosa Urban Deer Management Program has an established set of rules, which each hunter must follow, to participate in this program. A copy of these rules is attached to this release.
During the previous season (2013/2014) hunters harvested 26 deer within the Oskaloosa City limits. This was a 13% decrease from the 2012/2013 season when 30 deer were harvested. The Iowa Department of Natural Resources has allotted up to 200 licenses to be used during the 2014/2015 city season.
Anyone with questions regarding this program is encouraged to contact Lt. Russ Van Renterghem, of the Oskaloosa Police Department, by calling (641) 673-3201 ext. 5916 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CITY OF OSKALOOSA URBAN DEER MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
The purpose of this program is to SAFELY reduce the deer population within Oskaloosa.
1. Each hunter must possess a State of Iowa hunting license and a City of Oskaloosa Deer Hunting Permit. In order for the permit to be issued, the hunter must agree to abide by the following rules and regulations. Non-compliance with these rules is a violation of Oskaloosa City Code.
2. Hunters must pass an authorized archery proficiency test each year with the weapon they will use to hunt with in Oskaloosa. The tests will not allow for any warm up shots and will only allow for a maximum of two (2) attempts each year to successfully complete the test. The test will consist of 5 total shots at 20 yards. The hunter must score at least an 80% within an eight inch (8”) circle.
3. Tests must be administered by a member of the Oskaloosa Police Department.
4. After completion of the proficiency test and safety course, hunters must obtain a special use permit from the Oskaloosa Police Chief or designee’s office located at 214 High Avenue East in Oskaloosa. Hunters must be 18 years of age or older.
5. Hunters must comply with the City of Oskaloosa Hunting ordinance as well as Department of Natural Resources (DNR) rules and regulations for the State of Iowa. Oskaloosa permits are only good within the city limits of Oskaloosa.
6. Hunters must obtain a DNR Oskaloosa Deer Tag from the Mahaska County Recorder’s Office. Those tags are only valid within the city limits of Oskaloosa.
7. Hunters on private property must abide by the rules of the property owner. In addition to the Iowa Department of Natural Resources Rules and rules of the City of Oskaloosa.
8. Safety is our foremost concern. Hunters must insure that all shots are made carefully and safely.
9. All shots must be made from an elevated position toward a deer that is not more than 25 yards from the hunter’s
location. Shots must be oriented away from maintained roads, trails and structures.
10. Only portable stands may be used on city property and property not owned by the hunter unless permission is granted by the owner. Ground blinds are not allowed except for those with disabilities. Tree stands can be erected no sooner than one (1) week prior to local season and removed no longer than one (1) week after on city owned property. No “screw in” foot holds on city property/trees. All city owned property is considered closed to hunting unless a notice is published via the local media indicating otherwise.
11. The hunter agrees to maintain a minimum distance of 150 feet from any property line or occupied buildings unless permission is granted from property owner(s), 150 feet from any property owned by the Oskaloosa School District, 85 feet from any unoccupied buildings and 85 feet from any street or trail.
12. No baiting, driving, or stalking of deer is allowed.
13. Field dressing inside the city limits is not allowed (unless on owned property or with permission of the property owner).
14. Hunters must cover harvested deer or have them enclosed so they are not visible when transporting.
15. All deer taken shall be processed for meat or the meat given to charity.
16. Hunters must remove themselves immediately from any harassment situation and contact the Oskaloosa Police Department at 672-2557.
17. Any violation may result in the revocation of the permit or criminal charges, as appropriate.
18. Hunters must report harvest within 12 hours to the Oskaloosa Fire Department. Harvested deer must be physically taken to the Fire Department to be reported. Data is important to the overall success of this hunt. All deer harvested in the city must also be reported to the Iowa Department of Natural Resources through their harvest reporting system.