REFURBISHED WWII-ERA ‘SHERMAN’ TANK RELOCATED TO NEW HOME AT IOWA GOLD STAR MILITARY MUSEUM
On Wednesday, Jan. 29, beginning at 2 p.m., a Camp Dodge icon will be relocated to its new home in front of the Iowa Gold Star Military Museum on Camp Dodge, 7105 NW 70th Ave., Johnston. Soldiers from the Iowa National Guard’s Field Maintenance Camp Dodge shop (FMCD) will place the M4 “Sherman” tank, formerly located at the Camp Dodge Tank Park, at its new residence. The public and media are welcome to observe the installation and visit the museum.
The Sherman tank, located at the Camp Dodge Tank Park since 1958, was replaced in 2012 with a newer M60A3 Main Battle Tank. Since then, the Sherman has undergone refurbishment by FMCD in preparation for its new home.
The M4 Sherman, formally known as Medium Tank, M4, was the primary tank used by the U.S. Army during World War II. Thousands of these vehicles were distributed to the Allies, including the British Commonwealth and the Soviet Union, via the Lend-Lease program. In the United Kingdom, the M4 was named after Union General William Tecumseh Sherman, following the British practice of naming their American-built tanks after famous American Civil War generals. Subsequently, the British name found its way into common use in the U.S.
This M4A1(E8)W Sherman Medium Tank, manufactured by the Pressed Steel Car Company, was built in 1945 and features a 76mm main gun. This particular tank was produced late in WWII and more than likely did not see combat. It was used for training by Iowa Army National Guard Soldiers from 1947-1957.