Caucus Time Give Opportunity For All Voices
Oskaloosa, Iowa – The caucuses are scheduled for January 21st, and it’s an opportunity for registered Democrats and Republicans to meet with like-minded individuals to share, express and eventually develop the platforms each party will adopt for the coming years.
Iowa House Representative Guy Vander Linden (R) explained, “It’s the grassroots of the party that establishes membership in the central committees for both parties, will elect delegates to the county conventions, and the county conventions will elect delegates to the district.”
From the district convention, they will select delegates who will then participate in the state convention, who ultimately then decides who the candidates will be for the major offices.
“Registered Republicans and Democrats should go to their caucuses and participate,” said Vander Linden. “I hope they will.”
This type of grassroots debate allows for the most input from any voter in the election process, with the exception of election day itself.
In Mahaska County, Democrats will be meeting at a single location. At 7:00 pm, they will be meeting county wide at the Mahaska County Courthouse.
Republicans on the other hand will be scattered throughout the county at the following locations:
- Adams, Monroe, Pleasant Grove, Union townships will meet at the Union Mills Christian Church, 1405 Parkin Ave.
- Black Oak and Scott Township will meet at Leighton Christian Reformed Church, 415 Reid St.
- Cedar, Harrison and White Oak Township are meeting at the Fremont Community Building, 107 East Main.
- East and West Des Moines along with Jefferson Township are meeting at the County Maintainer Shop Building located at 101 Lakonta Oak Street, Eddyville.
- Garfield, Lincoln and Madison Townships meet at the Main County Shop Building, 2074 Old Highway 163, Oskaloosa.
- Oskaloosa Ward 1 will meet at AEA/ISU Extension Office.
- Oskaloosa Ward 2 is meeting at Fellowship Bible Church Activity Building.
- Oskaloosa Ward 3 and University Park are meeting at the Old Webster School Building
- Oskaloosa Ward 4 is meeting at the Assembly of God Church
- Prairie and Richland Townships are meeting at the New Sharon City Park Building
- Spring Creek Township is meeting at the Keomah Village Community Building.