A Walk That Brings History To Life
Oskaloosa, Iowa – The annual cemetery walk took place on Sunday as six area youth from the Teen Advisory Board at the Oskaloosa Public Library portrayed six past residents, briefly bringing the story of those individuals to life.
Local historian John Jacobs once again helped to provide history and background to some individuals interred at the Forrest Cemetery. The students then selected the individuals they portrayed from that information.
The attendees start the walk out at the N 11th St entrance. They walk until they find the actors, now dressed in period area clothing.
Soren Pearce portrayed Charles Ralston, a one-time mayor of Oskaloosa and businessman. “I really like acting,” said Pearce, who also took part in the walk last year.
Getting to know the person they portray “it’s great”, said Pearce. “It leaves me with just knowing more about Oskaloosa.”
Those who participated on Sunday:
- Virginia Knight Logan was portrayed by Faith Welch
- Charles Ralston was portrayed by Soren Pearce
- Francis Castles portrayed by Cassie Nimtz
- John Price was portrayed by Elijah Pearce
- C.W. Bolinger was portrayed by Anne Poush
- John R. Barnes was portrayed by Washington Pearce