Oskaloosa Community Schools Pursuing Grant Opportunity
The Oskaloosa Community Schools are currently pursuing a grant opportunity from the State of Iowa that is intended to improve student achievement by advancing teacher leadership opportunities, mentoring and peer coaching. If the added funds through the grant were received, teachers in Oskaloosa would be provided added time and training needed to take on extra leadership responsibilities.
Recent legislation (Division VII of House File 215) has created a process and extra per-pupil funding for schools across the state to put the system in place. Over the next three years it is expected that teacher leadership programs in all districts in Iowa will have been funded. Oskaloosa is striving to be one of the first. Last year, the Iowa Legislature appropriated $3.5 million for districts to plan their grants. Over the past few months, the Oskaloosa Community Schools has put together a committee that includes administrators, teachers, and parents to design a distinctive system that meets the requirements of the legislation and considers our local conditions.
The legislation is intended to assure that every district (that applies for the funding) will receive the grant sometime with in the next three years with very specific goals in mind.
• Attract able and promising new teachers by offering competitive starting salaries and offering short-term and long-term professional development and leadership opportunities.
• Retain effective teachers by providing enhanced career opportunities.
• Promote collaboration by developing and supporting opportunities for teachers in schools and school districts statewide to learn from each other.
• Reward professional growth and effective teaching by providing pathways for career opportunities that come with increased leadership responsibilities and involve increased compensation.
• Improve student achievement by strengthening instruction.
Iowa Department of Education Website – https://www.educateiowa.gov/teacher-leadership-and-compensation-system