Dividing Donor Dollars in 2013: United Way of Mahaska County funds Fifteen Partner Agencies with a total of $279,402
Oskaloosa, Iowa – During the January 31, 2013 meeting of the Board of Directors of United Way of Mahaska County, $279,402 in grants were approved to 15 partner agencies throughout the county. The funding priorities in 2013 were focused around supporting the United Way of Mahaska County’s goals in Education, Income/Financial Stability and Health as building blocks for a better life for the residents of our county.
Twenty community members volunteered to serve on the Community Investment Team, which reviewed the grant applications and recommended the distribution of United Way grant funds. This diverse group of community members not only reviewed the grant applications, but also interviewed non-profit representatives, reviewed program guidelines, and looked at the needs of the community as a whole.
“The volunteers who served on this year’s Community Investment Team focused on the guidelines provided by the United Way on the goals we have identified in Education, Income and Health. They were cautious with the dollars entrusted to us by our donors, and worked diligently to make the best investment back into our community, while keeping United Way’s goals and objectives for funding in mind. United Way encourages our local nonprofit organizations to address needs in the county through programs that provide realistic outcomes and financial accountability. United Way had $333,238 in requests, as each year we have more requests than we are able to grant, and therefore we cannot thank them enough for their time spent and their great attention to detail this year,” stated United Way of Mahaska County’s Executive Director, Brianne Fitzgerald.
The community members serving on this year’s Community Investment Team were:
• Chairperson – Dustin Hite, Vice President, United Way of Mahaska County Board of Directors
• Pam Pothoven – MidwestOne Bank
• Mary Jo Almond – Cablevey Conveyors
• Mike Gipple – Musco Lighting
• Robb Beane – Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont Community Schools
• Polly Ehret – Oskaloosa Community Schools
• Jennifer Peterson – Oskaloosa Community Schools
• Amy Shafer – Hawkeye Real Estate
• Malinda Ratliff – Hy-Vee Food Stores
• Kerra Strong – William Penn University
• Amanda Hoffman – Oskaloosa Community Schools
• Chris Prendergast – Clow Valve Company
• Dave Krutzfeldt – Interpower Corporation
• Julie Strom – Cargill Eddyville
• Austin Schmidt – Musco Lighting
• Lisa Wagner – Community Volunteer
• Stephanie Faulkes – Mahaska Health Partnership
• Lori Smith – Harvest Point Golf Course
• Andrew Langkamp – Garland Van Arkel Langkamp Funeral Home
• Amy Langdon – Communications Research Institute
The fifteen partner agencies receiving funding include:
• Mahaska Hospice – Palliative Care
• Crisis Intervention Services
• Kids’ Corner Child Care
• Mahaska County YMCA
• Food Bank of Southern Iowa
• North Mahaska Elementary School
• Love INC
• Oskaloosa Elementary School
• Ecumenical Cupboard
• Peek-A-Boo Point Childcare
• Iowa Legal Aid
• 4-H Foundation
• Imagine the Possibilities
• South Central Iowa Center for Independent Living
• American Red Cross (Southern Prairie Chapter)
The mission of United Way of Mahaska County is Leading People to LIVE UNITED with a vision to improve lives for a better tomorrow. More than just a fundraising organization, the organization works to bring neighbors and resources together in our community.
In addition to funding partner agencies, United Way of Mahaska County provides direct programs and services including VITA Tax Site, Familywize Prescription Discount Program, Day of Caring and Operation Backpack.
For more information, contact Brianne Fitzgerald at 641-673-6043 or email@example.com.